Kenton T. Kinney
Kenton T. Kinney received his Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies from Missouri Western State University. While at MWSU, Kenton served on student panels representing MWSU in its legal undergraduate certifications. While at MWSU, Kenton also performed valuable legal research and investigations on actual Missouri Innocence Project Cases. Kenton served as a Teaching Assistant to subsequent Missouri Innocence Project cases as well. Kenton graduated with honors from Missouri Western State University. After graduating, he quickly rose the ranks to become the Compliance Officer of a private finance/bad debt collection firm where he frequently dealt with state and federal regulatory agencies, as well as fraudulent claims and legal issues arising throughout the course of business.
Kenton then attended Law School at the University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law. While in Law School, Kenton participated on Mock Trial, Moot Court, and National Negotiation Teams, served as the Busines and Technology board member on the UMKC Law Review, and served as Chief Justice of the Honor Court. Kenton represented UMKC Law in multiple national competitions where he went head to head against the best law schools in the nation. Upon graduating Law School and passing the Missouri State Bar, Kenton started his own firm where he focused on Traffic, Criminal, and Family Law. Kenton brings his expertise in those areas to Burkhart Law Group.
Since joining Burkhart Law in 2018, Kenton has expanded his practice areas to include the protection of consumers and plaintiffs from the wrongdoings of employers or companies. Kenton now focuses his practice on Consumer Fraud, violations of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act, individual protections under the Whistleblower Protection Act, and Employment Discrimination, Harassment, or Hostile Work Environment under the Missouri Human Rights Act. His extensive experience/background in Litigation/Trial Practice allows Kenton to fiercely represent his clients in cases where the opposing side may be forcing a settlement rather than going to trial. Never shying away from his client’s day in court, Kenton considers it a privilege to represent “the little guy” (consumers/employees) when they get pushed around and harmed by companies or employers.
Kenton is admitted to practice in Missouri, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, and is a member of the Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MACDL) and National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA). Kenton is originally from Northwest Missouri. He has been a Missouri State High School Official for over 12 years in the sport of Wrestling and is an active member in the Western Missouri Wrestling Officials Association. When he is not in the office or on the mat, he enjoys working and spending time at the family farm in Northwest Missouri.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2017
- Awards: The Mid-America Association of Corporate Counsel – Corporate Law Award for exemplary performance in the area of Corporate Law; The Wilbur L. Pollard UMKC Law Review Honor Award; UMKC School of Law National Moot Court Board Member of the Year.
- Honors: UMKC Law Honor Court – Chief Justice; Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Society Member.
- Activities: 2015-2017 UMKC Mock Trial Team; UMKC Law Review Board – Business and Technology Editor; The Urban Lawyer – Staff Member; 2015-2016 UMKC ABA Nationals Negotiation Team; UMKC Moot Court Team – Board Member.
- Missouri Western State University, Bachelor of Science – Criminal Justice, Emphasis in Legal Studies, 2011
- Cum Laude
- Employment and Discrimination
- Worker’s Compensation Retaliation
- Violations of Missouri Merchandising Practices Act (MMPA)
- Consumer Fraud
- Criminal Defense
- Family Law
- American Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Kansas City National Employment Lawyers Association
- Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MACDL)